Be a part of various roundtable conferences, educational sessions and workshops, presided over by 200+ speakers representing the visionaries and the luminaries of the retail world. Have a look at the full schedule below.
6th SEP 2018 I DAY 2
10 Retail Real Estate Trends To Expect In 2019
10:00 – 11:00
FORMATS OF RETAIL REAL ESTATE DEVELOPMENTS – WHAT CLICKS?
- What’s the future of Strip Centers, Outlet Malls / Outlet Villages – rage abroad Vs. Future in India
- Are transit oriented developments the next big wave – retail along side – airports, metro, cruise terminals. How do you capture this new wave?
- Redevelopment projects – where is the retail and who is building it amidst confusion?
- Unlocking land parcels – reorientation in thoughts, retail building code, unlocking traditional land parcels, change in policies – what is the real requirement?
- Design a corner stone to look beyond the horizon – niche malls Vs. large formats but segmented offerings, lower yields vs footfalls, captive audience Vs generating audience?
- Adoptions required to convert the success of wests to Indian market for future formats
- How to design such projects so that utilitarian factor is high, but they also score well on ergonomics, aesthetics and finesse
11:00 – 12:00
13:20 – 14:00
FINANCING FUNDAMENTALS FOR BUILDING YOUR SHOPPING CENTRE
- Stages of Investment – mapping the capital flow journey of the 3-5 years – debt Vs equityVs buyout? What speed?
- What makes profitability ticking – Capital heads and Operating heads
- REITs a buzzword but no REITs are in existence in India – where does the retail challenge lie?
- What does it take for Developers, Investors, and Policy makers to build a REIT
- When a PE invests or acquires, what are the priorities for them – Revenue Drivers, Investment Payoffs, RoI
- Do Investors influence the Tenant mix – money does not come for free!
- Investment Valuation fundamentals for Institutional Investors – successful asset Vs. turning around
- International Investor that has made an exit, and is in the second phase of his investment – what are the nuances?
14:30 – 15:30
THE BIG REVOLUTION IN LEASING OF MALLS
LEASING PRACTICES WHICH ARE AT THE HEART OF THE MOST SUCCESSFUL MALLS OF TOMORROW
- How is the world of Leasing changing around us time to find a leasing solution to accommodate all mix of brands
- International Retailers vs Indian Retailers – preferential treatment, Lease terms, Zoning allotment, Long Leases vs Short Lease
- Long leases (30 years) Vs Sales throughput of international retailers – what is the growth potential
- One-shoe-fits-all or customization: Every retailer has a different need and capacity to pay – can Leasing agreements be customized
- Just as customer experience is important in retail for the final shopper, what are we doing to make Retailer Experience and onboarding into a new mall more delightful for the Retailer
- Who needs it more – what to do when the Retailer needs the shopping center more, and when the shopping center needs the Retailer more (case in example: Uniqlo)
19:30 – 22:00
5th SEP 2018 I DAY 1
Introduction to the 15th IRF journey
Welcome Address by IRF Business Anchor
10:00 – 10:10
IRF Research Presentation
When Trends Matter The Most – Tracking Consumer Trends for 2019 And Making Them Work For Your Business In An Intelligent Manner
10:10 – 10:30
Lock In Your Bets for Growth in Tier 2-3 Retail: Understanding What Drives Shoppers’ Needs and Aspirations Here and What Retailers and Shopping Centres Need to Do Differently From the Metro Consumer
10:30 – 10:50
IRF Chairman’s Welcome Address and Introduction to IRF 2018
11:00 – 11:07
Inaugural and Keynote
The Promise in Retail : How Retail will Shape India’s Future Prowess as the Top 3 Economies of the World
11:10 – 12:20
Knowledge Presentation (Sponsored Talk)
12:20 – 12:30
Retail Shark Tank : Dolphins vs Sharks
10 Trends that will disrupt Retail in the Next Decade
10 Lifestyle changes that Retail will disrupt in the Next Decade”
12:30 – 13:45
13:45 – 14:30
BUILDING RETAIL REAL ESTATE AS AN ATTRACTIVE ASSET CLASS
BUILDING AND SUSTAINING RETAIL SPACES FOR BOTH DEVELOPERS AND RETAILERS
- Alternative asset classes; Commercial, Retail, Residential compete with each other. Maintaining Retail as preferred asset class generating higher ROI
- Retail development costs are increasing; leading to higher rentals – Are there differentiating revenue models that solve this equation of affordable rentals for retailers and viability for Real Estate
- Are retail estate developments in tier II/III sweeter than metro cities – land cost, operating costs, regulatory watchdogs…? or is it a retail consumption phenomenon.
- Co-existence or north/south region phenomenon for High streets Vs Retail Malls. What is lucrative?
- Maintaining robust P&L and Operating Income – Alternative Revenue Streams beyond Revenue Share and Rental
- Developer’s terms vs. Retailer’s ability to pay – how to balance the two?
14:30 – 15:30
LEISURE and F&B
NEW SONG IN THE EQUATION
- Does Leisure, Entertainment and F&B drives the shoppers into the malls Vs real estate compromising on lower rentals?
- Is leisure being a long term play for a mall’s sustenance or Malls are in short supply – make hay while the sun shines?
- Are developers willing to give preferable terms to F&B and leisure despite lower yield Vs space
- Leisure drives footfalls, but per sqft revenue is lower – can developers charge higher rentals to other tenants to make Entertainment more viable and commit footfall at the back of leisure
- Is leisure now getting too standardized – cinema chain, food joints, entertainment arenas. Grab a leaf from international book?
- New technologies like AR/VR – what new forms of leisure can they bring in a mall
- Future-gazing: just as shopping is becoming more Omni-channel, can leisure also take that form. For example, play a game on Mobile, and come to Mall to complete the final level. Can digital be an enabler to attract leisure enthusiasts to mall for a bigger play of leisure
15:45 – 16:45